Updated: Apr 28
Celebrate Mom in a special way by choosing one (or more!) of these unique South Bay experiences. Moms have been working extra hard over the past year, serving as cook, housekeeper, teacher, counselor, coach and covid compliance officer. The job got a lot tougher in 2020 with new roles and extended hours for all the moms out there. It was a year like no other.
Now that it’s 2021, it’s time to think out of the box and come up with something out of the norm. If ever there was a time to plan a special thank you for all that Mom does, this is the time. And keeping it local not only takes some of the stress out of planning and execution, it also promotes small businesses, local businesses and women-owned businesses. That’s a win-win situation.
So here are 5 ideas to show her she is appreciated and loved. Or if you are a mom reading this, then think about these ideas to treat yourself to a unique experience. Many of these ideas work for friends or family members to share together.
1. Private Art Class. Have the instructor come to you. Open Air Art in Redondo Beach brings all the supplies and instruction to set up an art class right in your preferred space. It can be a backyard, a patio, a park or the beach. Invite friends or family and create lasting memories as well as keepsake art pieces. Perfect for creative moms or moms who love to learn and laugh. No experience required. Or, consider a class as a great project for kids to create artwork specially made for moms. www.openair.art
2. Private Flower Arranging Class. Lily Pad Floral Design in Hermosa Beach brings all the supplies and know-how to help create a beautiful arrangement for today as well as teach you techniques to use in the future. It can be a small family affair or a gathering of friends to celebrate together and be inspired by the beautiful colors and scents of the season- perfect for a Moms Night Out. www.lilypadfloral.com
3. Custom Tea Party. Ready. Set. Party. in Manhattan Beach sets a beautiful tabletop complete with whimsical teapots, cups, saucers and coordinating flower arrangements to set the scene for a lovely tea party with friends or family. Optional tiered trays full of scones and tea sandwiches can be catered by local companies like Lisa’s Bon Appetit to complete the affair. Let Mom sip and chat and feel like a princess with a traditional tea party in the comfort of your own backyard, on your patio or even on the beach with the ocean as your backdrop. Or have Ready. Set. Party. set a beautiful table and order a delicious meal from a local restaurant so she can be surprised with fine dining right at home. www.readysetpartycompany.com; www.lisasbonappetit.com
4. Custom Jewelry with Personalized Service. Take the opportunity to work directly with a local jeweler to find just the right item. Ounce of Salt Jewelry in Manhattan Beach offers many beautiful options and the talented owner is dedicated to helping you choose the perfect piece to celebrate Mom. Whether it’s a completely custom design or one of the jeweler’s own unique creations, Mom is sure to be thrilled when she opens a box filled with sparkle. And it will be something to cherish for years to come. www.ounceofsaltjewelry.com
5. Private Shopping Experience. Wouldn’t it be indulgent to have an experienced stylist help you choose some new items for your wardrobe? Local shops like Cami (with boutiques in Manhattan and Redondo Beach) can set up a time to assist Mom in picking the perfect pieces for her style, budget and shape. It will be a special treat she won’t soon forget. www.cami.us
Do something outside the ordinary for a mom that’s extraordinary. 2020 was a challenging year. Mark Mother’s Day 2021 as the best yet and give the mom in your life (maybe even yourself!) something truly unique.